Re: Problem with starting Postgres

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Reinhard Hnat" <hnat(at)logotronic(dot)co(dot)at>
Cc: "Postgres Novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with starting Postgres
Date: 2005-07-18 13:38:02
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Reinhard Hnat" <hnat(at)logotronic(dot)co(dot)at> writes:
> I am using PG 7.4 I was creating a new Databasecluster. after a first
> successful start of postmaster i wanted to stop and start again. pg_ctl
> teminated with a message that posmaster won't stop, so i stopped it with -m
> immediate. Since then it is not possible to start again.

I think you probably have a process or two still hanging around. Do
"ps auxww | grep postgres" (or local equivalent) and look for processes
that are/were children of the old postmaster or one of the subsequent
attempts. Get rid of 'em with kill -9.

Once you are certain there are none left, "rm -rf" the database
directories and rerun initdb.

(Of course this'd be a lot harder if you were trying to preserve data,
but since there's nothing to preserve, you may as well take the brute
force approach.)