Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1151: Initdb fails ...
Date: 2004-05-12 16:21:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
=?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I do a full recompile (I have removed the directory
> and restart from the tarball) => Same result :-(
> I got the same error from initdb.

Hm.  It's starting to sound like an actual bug --- though whether it's
in HPUX 11.00, gcc, or Postgres is difficult to guess.  The Postgres
code is certainly known to work on many platforms, but it could have
an unsuspected platform dependency that only shows up here.

One thing I'd ask is whether you are up-to-date on libc patches for your
HPUX installation.  It's plausible that this could be the result of
buggy libc code (such as strtol or related routines).  And my
recollection is that 11.00 was about as bulletproof as you'd expect for
a dot-zero release :-(

If no joy there, the only thing I can suggest is to rebuild with
--enable-debug (if you didn't already) and start digging into it with
gdb.  If that sounds a bit out of your league, I'd be willing to do it
if you can give me ssh access to the machine.  (I don't need root,
an unprivileged user account is enough.)