Re: New system OIDS inside include/catalog/pg_proc.h

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New system OIDS inside include/catalog/pg_proc.h
Date: 2002-01-25 16:04:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
> I am in the process of adding some external interfaces to the temporary
> relations (started as a goal of being able to view temporary
> tables in psql with \d).

I think you're wasting your time to think about this now. By the time
7.3 comes out, we will have an entirely new approach to temp tables:
they'll be named with the same names the user sees, and live in
per-backend temp schemas to avoid name conflicts with permanent tables.
So any code based on working with the existing temp-name mapper will
be in the scrap heap before it can get released :-(

> How do I choose a new OID when adding something
> to include/catalog/pg_proc.h?

See unused_oids.