Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and HugePage
Date: 2010-10-20 14:10:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM, daveg <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 04:08:37PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>>> Heh - provided you specify
>>> SHM_HUGETLB
>>> in the relevant call that is :-)

>> I had a patch for this against 8.3 that I could update if there is any
>> interest. I suspect it is helpful.

> I think it would be a good feature. Of course, we would need
> appropriate documentation, and some benchmarks showing that it really
> works.

I believe that for the equivalent Solaris option, we just automatically
enable it when available. So there'd be no need for user documentation.
However, I definitely *would* like to see some benchmarks proving that
the change actually does something useful. I've always harbored the
suspicion that this is just a knob to satisfy people who need knobs to
frob.