Re: C Function problems

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kent Scott <kscott(at)logicalsi(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C Function problems
Date: 2010-01-31 16:30:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Kent Scott <kscott(at)logicalsi(dot)com> writes:
> I have trouble creating C functions especially when using some C native code
> For example, the following code works:

> [ examples differing only in the addition of a local variable ]

> I get the following error when trying to create the function :
> ERROR: could not find function "Create_Future_Records" in file
> "/usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/shared.so"

It's really hard to believe that those two examples work differently.
I think more likely you're up against some procedural error that you
are misinterpreting to suggest that adding an unused local variable
would really make a difference.

One thought that comes to mind is that as of recent releases, the
only way to load a modified .so into the backend is to start a fresh
session.  So if you recompiled and then tried to do a CREATE FUNCTION
in a backend that had already loaded the previous version of the .so,
you could get an error like that.  Any chance it's that?