Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca>
Cc: "Gavin Sherry" <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Guide to PostgreSQL source tree
Date: 2001-08-19 15:22:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho(at)alcor(dot)concordia(dot)ca> writes:
> And what's wrong in automated guide generation?

Even more to the point, what's wrong with looking at the source code?
(Why would you want a "line by line" guide if you're not looking at the
source code, anyway?)

We could probably do with more extensive high-level documentation than
we have, to point people to the parts of the code that they need to read
for a particular purpose. But I agree with Sergei that it's hopeless
to try to divorce low-level documentation from the code itself.

One thing that I find absolutely essential for dealing with any large
project is a full-text indexer (I use Glimpse, but I think there are
others out there). Being able to quickly look at every use of a
particular identifier goes a long way towards answering questions.