Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: "Thomas Swan" <tswan(at)idigx(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jeff Boes" <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp
Date: 2004-04-21 03:29:02
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net> writes:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Should pg_autovacuum be vacuuming temporary tables?

> This is a good question, and I would like some opinions from some other
> people more informed than I.

You *can not* vacuum other sessions' temp tables; you don't have access
to the data. (You have no way to get at pages that are modified in
someone else's local buffer manager.) You could vacuum your own temp
tables, if you had any, but I would hardly expect autovacuum to have
any.

In reference to Chris' followup question, you *should* be vacuuming
system catalogs, and you *should not* be vacuuming TOAST tables. VACUUM
on a regular table automatically hits the associated TOAST table.