NATURAL JOIN of more than two tables doesn't work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, iliev(at)nimbus(dot)dartmouth(dot)edu
Subject: NATURAL JOIN of more than two tables doesn't work
Date: 2000-06-01 15:30:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Morning Thomas,

This seems to be your turf so I'm passing it on. The proximate cause
of the coredump is that l_name is NULL at line 505 of parse_clause.c
(the loop that's trying to match left and right column names). This
is certain to happen at the second join, because l_name is set from
the first join node's alias field (at line 471) and that value has
not been set anywhere.

I speculate that what should be happening is for the inner invocation
of parseFromClause to set its node's alias field with the constructed
field list, but I'm unclear on how that interacts with setting
pstate->p_alias. (For that matter, I don't understand what p_alias is
for --- seems like a parse-global field to hold aliases associated with
a particular join node is wrong by definition.)

Finally, line 483 looks awfully like a cut-and-paste typo to me;
shouldn't it look like this?

*** parse_clause.c~ Tue May 30 00:26:46 2000
--- parse_clause.c Thu Jun 1 02:12:19 2000
***************
*** 458,464 ****
RangeTblEntry *l_rte,
*r_rte;
Attr *l_name,
! *r_name = NULL;
JoinExpr *j = (JoinExpr *) n;

if (j->alias != NULL)
--- 458,464 ----
RangeTblEntry *l_rte,
*r_rte;
Attr *l_name,
! *r_name;
JoinExpr *j = (JoinExpr *) n;

if (j->alias != NULL)
***************
*** 480,486 ****
if (IsA(j->rarg, JoinExpr))
{
parseFromClause(pstate, lcons(j->rarg, NIL));
! l_name = ((JoinExpr *) j->larg)->alias;
}
else
{
--- 480,486 ----
if (IsA(j->rarg, JoinExpr))
{
parseFromClause(pstate, lcons(j->rarg, NIL));
! r_name = ((JoinExpr *) j->rarg)->alias;
}
else
{

But that's not the source of this bug since that path is not entered in
this example.

Anyway, I'm afraid that this routine needs some nontrivial fixes to work
properly with more than one JoinExpr node, and I don't understand it
well enough to fix it. So I'm punting to you...

regards, tom lane