Re: easy one: location of the database cluster

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Iain" <iain(at)mst(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: easy one: location of the database cluster
Date: 2004-12-16 16:14:00
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Iain wrote:
>> Is there a "standard" directory that people tend to use for this,
>> such as /var/local/pgsql/ ?

> According to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, program data should be
> under /var/lib/<packagename>.  Indeed, many binary distributions use
> some variant of that as data directory location.

The RPM distributions of PG use /var/lib/pgsql/data as the standard
PGDATA value.  I'm not sure what Debian does but I think it might be
different.  Also there has been some talk of including the major
release number (7.4, 8.0, etc) in the standard PGDATA value, to ease
migration across server versions by allowing different versions to be
installed concurrently.