Re: pgsql installation problem!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ricardo Gamero <ricardo(dot)gamero(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql installation problem!
Date: 2005-08-30 21:36:52
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ricardo Gamero <ricardo(dot)gamero(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm so sorry to post this simple question but I don't know what to do
> anymore!!!, the thing is I need to install postgresql 8.0.3 in red hat 9 an=
> I've tried so many things that I don't know what else to do, please help me=
> !

It looks to me like you're trying to install an RPM that wasn't made for
your exact system version, and so it's dependent on versions of other
packages that you don't have. If you can't find an RPM that's a better
match to your system, the answer is to roll your own. In principle this
is easy: download the SRPM (source RPM) for Postgres and do
"rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-.....src.rpm". However, if you don't
have development tools installed, you'll have to install them which
might be a bit of a pain. Also you'll need the -devel RPMs for
everything Postgres depends on (which is not that many packages, but
some).