Re: pg_restore ignore error patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>,PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_restore ignore error patch
Date: 2004-04-20 01:41:38
Lists: pgsql-patches
> I looked over the patch and it seems to continue on pg_restore errors by
> default.  That isn't good.  By default, any error should make it exit
> loudly.

I'm not sure of that.  pg_dump is really designed and tested for the
case of text dump to a psql script, and if there is an error in the psql
script, psql will print it out and continue.  In the cases I have seen
where pg_restore operates differently from that paradigm, the pg_restore
behavior of curling up and dying has *never* been the right thing.

I haven't looked at the details of Fabien's patch, but I'm in agreement
with the overall goal.