Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Replace pgindent shell script with Perl script. Update perltidy
Date: 2012-08-04 21:55:51
Lists: pgsql-committers
> On 08/04/2012 03:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm not sure if we have any project policy for minimum required Perl
>> version, but I've not found that any of our other Perl scripts don't
>> work with 5.8.

> Well, It's at least in 5.10.1 which dates from 3 years ago. I suspect
> it's probably in 5.10.0 which dates from about 5 years ago. I guess this
> is the danger of developing on modern systems :-) How old is the
> compiler you use for everyday work?

I intentionally use oldest-supported-versions of tools on my HPPA box,
to keep us honest on that front.  It's running gcc 2.95.3, since you
asked, but that's not too relevant to the immediate question: what do
we consider our oldest supported version of Perl?  If we decide it's
not 5.8, I'll reinstall that ... but allowing \h seems a pretty lame
excuse for ratcheting up a whole major release series.