Re: Database in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael Richards" <michael(at)fastmail(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database in recovery mode
Date: 2000-08-06 05:45:21
Lists: pgsql-sql
"Michael Richards" <michael(at)fastmail(dot)ca> writes:
> I've got a postgres system that keeps going into recovery mode. I
> can't really find any docs on this. All of the postgres processes
> will be in the STOP state and when I try to connect it will say "The
> database is in recovery mode".

> I suspect there is a query that is causing it to crash in some
> specific way that causes it. This is happening about once per day.

Sounds like that to me too.  Are any core dump files showing up in the
database directory (PGDATA/base/DBNAME/core)?  If so a stack trace
from the corefile would be informative.  Also, make sure you are
collecting a postmaster log --- do NOT start the postmaster with -S,
instead direct its stdout and stderr into a logfile --- and see if
anything interesting is recorded therein.  You might want to start the
postmaster with -d2 so that the actual queries are logged too.