Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql.conf archive_command example
Date: 2011-09-02 19:29:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Another thought I have here is to wonder whether we should change
> something on the server side so that we don't NEED such a complicated
> archive_command.  I mean, copying a file to a directory somewhere is
> not fundamentally a complex operation.  Nor is using ssh to copy it to
> another machine.

It is once you consider error handling and catering to N combinations of
user requirements.

I think the notion that we should get rid of archive_command in favor of
something more hard-wired is sheer lunacy.  We have a nicely decoupled
arrangement for dealing with these issues now; why would we want to pull
them into the server?

Now, providing a more useful sample script is certainly reasonable.