Re: Urgent!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Urgent!
Date: 2005-10-13 16:31:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
>> You should never just turn off a database server... always shut it down
>> normally... Turning it off was a major mistake.

> PostgreSQL should never get corrupted by turning off the server.  It
> isn't ideal to do that, but it should not get corrupted.

We can only make that promise if we are on hardware that doesn't lie to
us about disk write completion ... if this machine is generic PC
hardware it's probably not configured properly.

The symptoms sound to me like corrupt data (probably due to a partial
page disk write).  There isn't going to be any magic fix, but you can
probably recover everything but the specific damaged page(s).  See the
mailing list archives for previous discussions of cleaning up data
corruption.