Re: JAVA Support

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JAVA Support
Date: 2006-09-28 18:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Sep 28, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>
>> It appears that the JDBC client doesn't include the Kerberos
>> support that the C clients do.
>
> Java doesn't have accessible Kerberos support.  It wraps Kerberos
> in GSSAPI which requires the server to support GSSAPI instead of
> plain Kerberos.

Looks like Kerberos is the only GSSAPI mechanism supported in Java.
OK by me, but that's not the point of the standard (or the SASL
standard).

>> So, two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there an alternative JDBC client that's just a glue layer
>> instead of a complete re-implementation?
>
> No, there aren't any Type 2 drivers around.  Requiring native code
> is a giant pain.
>
> Kris Jurka

Requiring JAVA support for everything you can do with C is also a
pain, isn't it?  (This incompatibility being an example.)

I take it you're not volunteering to help with my second request.  ;-)

----
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu