Re: apple uses Postgres for RemoteDesktop 2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: apple uses Postgres for RemoteDesktop 2
Date: 2004-08-18 15:05:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Joel <rees(at)ddcom(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> ... If Apple hired me to fix that for them, I'd probably put a system-use
> only copy in there that would not be visible in the normal user's path,

Right, that's what they did (according to my understanding of the first
post in this thread).

> and tweak it to use some other port.

... but they forgot that part.

Another issue that I've pointed out to them off-list is that the default
SysV shared-memory limits need to be raised considerably. With OS X's
default SHMMAX it's practically impossible to start two concurrent
postmasters at all, and it's definitely impossible to do so with
reasonable shared_buffers values.