Re: Counting distinct names

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Counting distinct names
Date: 2000-04-19 05:05:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

"G. Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu> writes:
> Thanks Tom. I'll eventually upgrade, but still am a little wary considering
> how many messages hackers continues to get on beta5. Perhaps, when 7.1 is
> out I'll feel a little more secure about the upgrade.

You meant 7.0.1, no? 7.1 will be a new major release with its own bugs...

Seriously, despite the amount of traffic about 7.0 issues, I believe
that 7.0 beta is already considerably more reliable than any prior
release ever was; and I believe the other developers share that opinion.
If you think 6.5.* is bug-free then you haven't been paying attention ;-).
We've fixed a huge number of problems since 6.5. Furthermore, how are
we going to flush out remaining issues if people don't try it? You're
not doing yourself or anyone else a service by staying away from 7.0.