Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED v36 Re: Final version of IDENTITY/GENERATED patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IDENTITY/GENERATED v36 Re: Final version of IDENTITY/GENERATED patch
Date: 2007-04-04 15:39:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Here's the new version with the modifications you requested.

I see another problem with this patch: the code added to
ATExecDropColumn is a crude hack. It doesn't work anyway since this is
not the only possible way for columns to be dropped (another one that
comes to mind immediately is DROP TYPE ... CASCADE). The only correct
way to handle things is to let the dependency mechanism do it. I think
you would get the behavior you want if you make the generated columns
have AUTO rather than NORMAL dependencies on the columns they reference.