Re: BUG #4196: Backend crash possible with psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4196: Backend crash possible with psql
Date: 2008-05-26 15:58:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de> writes:
> client_encoding: WIN1252
> server_encoding: UTF8
> lc_collate:      German_Germany.1252
> lc_ctype:        German_Germany.1252
> lc_messages:     German_Germany

Thanks for the info --- we have been unable to get these values from
previous complainants, so this is a real help.

> Please let me know if you need more info. For me it looks like the
> server reads the localized error messages in system encoding (win1252),
> but assumes they are in utf8 in the server.

Yeah, that's what I think too.  Specifically, we expect the gettext
package to deliver translated error messages in the server_encoding,
but it seems that's not what we're getting on Windows.  Without having
dug into the gettext code, I wonder whether it is looking at lc_ctype
and thinking it should return WIN1252 strings.

Another interesting question is how initdb allowed you to select the
above combination of settings.  8.3 is supposed to enforce that
server_encoding is the same as the encoding implied by lc_ctype,
which is evidently not the case here.  I recall we were tinkering with
that code before 8.3 release, but I guess it's still not right :-(