Re: Transient plans versus the SPI API

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transient plans versus the SPI API
Date: 2011-08-03 19:19:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> This seems like a good design.  Now what would be really cool is if
> you could observe a stream of queries like this:

> SELECT a, b FROM foo WHERE c = 123
> SELECT a, b FROM foo WHERE c = 97
> SELECT a, b FROM foo WHERE c = 236

> ...and say, hey, I could just make a generic plan and use it every
> time I see one of these.  It's not too clear to me how you'd make
> recognition of such queries cheap enough to be practical, but maybe
> someone will think of a way...

Hm, you mean reverse-engineering the parameterization of the query?
Interesting thought, but I really don't see a way to make it practical.

In any case, it would amount to making up for a bad decision on the
application side, ie, not transmitting the query in the parameterized
form that presumably exists somewhere in the application.  I think
we'd be better served all around by encouraging app developers to rely
more heavily on parameterized queries ... but first we have to fix the
performance risks there.