Re: Server starts, but I can't connect

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: postgresql(at)mysoftforge(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server starts, but I can't connect
Date: 2011-07-06 03:11:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Craigbert <postgresql(at)mysoftforge(dot)com> writes:
> Hello All,
> I am running PostgreSQL 8.4 on Kubuntu 11.04.
> The server starts without any issues, but I can not connect. I keep
> getting an invalid user/password error.
> I am connecting to the localhost, default port, user = postgres,
> database = postgres
> I have tried setting the authentication methods to trust in the
> pg_hba.conf file, but it does not make any difference.

> What am I doing wrong?

You could not get that type of error when running "trust"
authentication. So, you aren't. Likely theories are that you forgot to
reload or restart the server after changing pg_hba.conf, or that you did
reload but it didn't "take" because of some error in the modified hba
file (if so, there'll be some complaint about it in the server log
file), or that the file you're changing isn't the one being used by the
server you're actually connecting to.