Re: git: uh-oh

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-09-05 22:11:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com> writes:
> On 05/09/10 03:55, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> Can you post the repo you ended up with somewhere?

> For both, see http://github.com/maxb

I took the trouble to run through a mechanical diff of this version's
REL8_3_STABLE log history versus what I get from cvs2cl. Several cvs2cl
bug fixes later :-(, I have a pretty darn close match. There are some
discrepancies in what the two tools choose to regard as a single commit
versus successive commits with the same log message, but that's probably
OK. The only real gripe I can find to make is that in the cases where
a file is added to a back branch, the "manufactured" commit is
invariably blamed on committer "pgsql". Can't we arrange to blame it
on the person who actually added the file? (I wonder whether this is
related to the fact that the same commits have made-up timestamps,
which we already griped about.)