Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UUID data format 4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x-4x
Date: 2008-02-29 03:56:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> writes:
> "Be conservative in what you send, and liberal in what you accept."

Yeah, I was about to quote that same maxim myself.  I don't have a big
problem with allowing uuid_in to accept known format variants.  (I'm
not sure about allowing a hyphen *anywhere*, because that could lead to
accepting things that weren't meant to be a UUID at all, but this HP
format seems regular enough that that's not a serious objection to it.)

What I was really complaining about was Josh's suggestion that we invent
a function to let users *output* UUIDs in random-format-of-the-week.
I can't imagine much good coming of that.  I think we should keep
uuid_out emitting only the RFC-standardized format.