pg_dump: ERROR: cannot read block 1055 of summary: Input/output error

From: Dimitri Nagiev <dnagiev(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: dmagiev(at)gmx(dot)de
Subject: pg_dump: ERROR: cannot read block 1055 of summary: Input/output error
Date: 2003-06-27 21:53:00
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

using pg_dump I get the following error message:

pg_dump stats > stats.sql
pg_dump: ERROR: cannot read block 1055 of summary: Input/output error
pg_dump: lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "summary" failed:
PQendcopy() failed.
pg_dump: Error message from server: pg_dump: The command was: COPY
public.summary (id, timestamp, user, keyfigure, total, absolutedifference,
relativedifference) TO stdout;

calls from psql give me similar trouble:

# select count(*) from summary;
ERROR: cannot read block 1055 of summary: Interrupted system call

some more info:
- we are using postgresql 7.3.2
- before the problems, the table had approx. 200.000 records without any
problems
- a regular import is (was) feeding about 500 records a day into the table.

There's a good backup from yesterday, but still I am very concerned. Any
ideas on how to fix the problem ? Any reasons why it does occur ?

thanks

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more http://www.gmx.net +++