Re: SSL over Unix-domain sockets

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSL over Unix-domain sockets
Date: 2008-01-04 19:09:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Yes, it would plug the hole without fully implementing SSL control on
> local sockets. However, the hole is already plugged by using directory
> permissions so I question the need for a partial solution at this point
> in 8.3.

As already noted, "fix /tmp's directory permissions" isn't a very
helpful suggestion.

> At this point in 8.3 I think we have to ask if we would make such a
> change in a minor release, and I don't think we would.

It depends on whether you call it a new feature or a bug fix.
If it is a bug fix, wouldn't we also back-patch it?

Given the smallness of Peter's patch, I don't think that treating
it as a bug fix is unreasonable, if that (and the docs) are all we
change. Now adding "localssl" etc to pg_hba.conf's options seems
more like a new feature, and that I think should wait for 8.4.

One question is whether patching this without adding localssl
(and therefore, without providing a way for the DBA to enforce
SSL use) is actually very helpful. You could be secure but you'd
be depending on the client side to get it right. OTOH that's true
anyway if we have no way to enforce that the client verify the
postmaster's certificate.