Re: BUG #6601: Inconsistent behavior of ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jon(dot)plotky(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6601: Inconsistent behavior of ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN
Date: 2012-04-18 23:44:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

jon(dot)plotky(at)gmail(dot)com writes:
> Issue: After adding one new column to each of two different tables, querying
> pg_attribute shows the new column in one table but not the other.

This is a bit hard to believe, and your log extract certainly doesn't
provide any evidence to support the statement. Could we see a complete
self-contained test case?

> - Postgresql log shows difference after the two ALTER TABLE statements (see
> below), with a "forked new backend" message always following the ALTER TABLE
> that does not update pg_attribute. Don't know if this has anything to do
> with anything, but the log messages are always the same

That only suggests a new incoming connection, which seems probably
unrelated. However, if that new connection is what's going to examine
pg_attribute, maybe the issue is that it's looking before the ALTER has
committed?