Re: More message encoding woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-03-30 18:04:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Could we get away with just unconditionally calling
>> bind_textdomain_codeset with *our* canonical spelling of the encoding
>> name? If it works, great, and if it doesn't, you get English.

> Yeah, that's better than nothing.

A quick look at the output of "iconv --list" on Fedora 10 and OSX 10.5.6
says that it would not work quite well enough. The encoding names are
similar but not identical --- in particular I notice a lot of
discrepancies about dash versus underscore vs no separator at all.

What we need is an API equivalent to "iconv --list", but I'm not seeing
one :-(. Do we need to go so far as to try to run that program?
Its output format is poorly standardized, among other problems ...