Re: Re: pgsql: Add URLs for : * Speed WAL recovery by allowing more than one

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: pgsql: Add URLs for : * Speed WAL recovery by allowing more than one
Date: 2008-03-19 02:46:01
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> It may surprise you but I didn't read Tom's words as being against
> "Simon's approach". Personally I read them as a generic warning, which I
> agreed with. Maybe Tom can straighten that out.

AFAIR, I just said that I'd find it hard to trust any complex mechanism
that was being used *only* during WAL replay. If we want to invent a
pre-reader process, or aio, or whatever, we should try to get it to be
exercised during normal use as well. We're far more likely to find the
bugs in it that way.