Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Example indenting
Date: 2010-08-23 14:33:13
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> On 23 August 2010 14:43, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hm, both pages render acceptably for me in Safari --- it's true that the
>> examples aren't inset relative to the text on the main-docs site, but
>> I don't see anything "messed up" beyond that. What browser are you
>> using? Could you post a screenshot of what you see?

> By "mess" I mean examples aren't sufficiently distinct from paragraph
> text. There's nothing actually malformed. It's more of a styling
> issue from my perspective.

Ah, I see. It looks like you are using a monospaced font that is
visually very similar to your regular text font, and so with neither
a font difference or insetting, there's indeed not a lot to distinguish
example from text. On my display the two fonts are a bit more visually
distinct so it's more readable. (Checks preferences ... I've got Safari
set to Times 16 for "standard font" and Courier 13 for "fixed-width
font", though I'm not sure whether the PG docs pages make use of those
selections.)

Anyway, that was a red herring, and the question remains why the
examples are rendered without insetting on the main docs pages.
Was that intentional? I can see that it might be because the text
is already inset from the window edge more than it is on the devel site,
and so insetting the examples even more might result in page width
problems. Maybe the problem is not so much that we want to indent the
examples more as that the text needs to be indented less.