Re: Adding a suffix array index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding a suffix array index
Date: 2004-11-28 21:52:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Troels Arvin <troels(at)arvin(dot)dk> writes:
> What kind of (logical) block identifier should I point to in my index?

CTID (block # + line #) is the only valid pointer from an index to a
table.  It doesn't change over the life of an index entry.  I think
though that you'd be making a serious mistake by not duplicating the
suffixes into the index (rather than expecting to retrieve them from the
table every time, as you seem to be contemplating).  You need to be able
to scan the index and identify rows matching a query without making lots
of probes into the table.