Re: Bug #529: UPDATE fails after an index is changed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: paul(at)cnt(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #529: UPDATE fails after an index is changed
Date: 2001-12-04 01:30:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> I had to drop and re-create an index on a table for a large insert. Then I needed to run an UPDATE on a different table that gets its values from the first table. UPDATE fails with this error message:
> 'ERROR: Index 6708054 does not exist'.

What do you mean by "gets its values"? Is there a referential integrity
check between the two tables, or perhaps a trigger that examines the
other table?

If it's a trigger, the problem is probably due to plpgsql caching query
plans. This is a known problem that will be fixed someday (it's not
that easy to fix without giving up a lot of performance). In the
meantime, just starting a fresh backend session should make the problem
go away.