Re: Two Flyers

From: "Jussi(dot)Mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com" <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two Flyers
Date: 2004-07-06 10:07:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

I think the question here is, why do you have there a picture of an
elephant? Would a nice mouse be fine too?

If the purpose of the picture is to be a logo, then it would be best to
use the logo that is associated with what ever is the topic.

The idea is, that when the user sees that logo, he knows, that this is
the same company, software, or what ever. Seeing another kind of logo
also means, that this is something else. Maybe a pirate copy of the
original??

If people are not happy with the current logo, then perhaps we should
consider of having a new one. But changing logos is not like changing
t-shirts. It should be thought of carefully, and there should be good
reasons for doing it. And one should of course remember, that it can't
be done too often.

I think Shell is an example, that is often referred when talking about logos.

Rgs,

Jussi

> People can make any changes and republish the one page
> general flyer.  (But I still need to link up the open office file.)
>
> The other one on the Open Source Maturity Model is my
> document--more of a white paper.  It can be republished,
> but only as is.
>
> Since I made up the flyers and Varlena, llc is paying for the
> copies of both flyers for Oscon, I get to choose the elephant
> I like best.
>
> Anyone else is welcome and encouraged to create and print
> their own flyer.
>
> Personally, I think we should take over the elephant motif
> en masse.  And I think that the particular elephant does not matter
> that much.  But I understand that you (Marc) and others
> disagree.
>
> As I said, I'm not trying to make a statement.  I'm just choosing
> elephant pictures :-)
>
> elein
>
> On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 12:20:21AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, elein wrote:
> >
> > >I'm using the slony elephant just on whimsy. I just like them better and
> > >they have not snuck over to the php camp. But it is not meant to be a
> > >strong statement about anything.
> >
> > For official events, especially one that we are trying to make as large a
> > statement at as we seem to be with this one, using the standard, official
> > logo should be, I think, a high priority ...
> >
> > ----
> > Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
> > Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ: 7615664

pgsql-advocacy by date