Re: Open 7.3 items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open 7.3 items
Date: 2002-08-28 13:14:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
> If we go to a thorough solution for virtual local databases, local users
> of other databases ought to be completely invisible.

Perhaps. I'm not convinced of that, but it's a defensible position.

> I can't see how a group within a local database could contain users from
> other databases.

This presupposes that groups become local to databases, which is not
a foregone conclusion in my mind at all. Perhaps we'll need to invent
the concept of local and global groups, to go along with local and
global users.

Anyway, this is all designing far in advance of available use-cases.
Marc was satisfying his needs (so far as he said, anyway) with a
password-based scheme even klugier than what we're going to put in 7.3.
We don't have other usage examples at all. And with the availability
of schemas in 7.3, I think that multiple databases per installation
is going to become less common to begin with --- people will more often
use multiple schemas in one big database if they want the option of
data sharing, or completely separate installations if they want airtight
separation.

Accordingly, I'm disinclined to start actually inventing features in
this area until I see more evidence that it's worth the trouble.