Re: Strange behaviour

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Rowell <richard(at)bowmansystems(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour
Date: 2006-08-03 16:39:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Richard Rowell <richard(at)bowmansystems(dot)com> writes:
> We are using a BI tool that generates some rather ugly queries. One of
> the ugly queries is taking much longer to return thin I think it
> should.
> (http://www.bowmansystems.com/~richard/full.analyze)
> Can anyone shed any light on what is going on here?

Seems like you have some bad rowcount estimates leading to poor plan
selection. Most of the problem looks to be coming from the FunctionScan
nodes, wherein the planner doesn't have any real way to estimate how
many rows come out. You might look into whether you can replace those
functions with views, so that the planner isn't dealing with "black boxes".