Re: BRIN range operator class

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BRIN range operator class
Date: 2015-05-13 23:08:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Emre Hasegeli wrote:
> > I pushed patches 04 and 07, as well as adopting some of the changes to
> > the regression test in 06. I'm afraid I caused a bit of merge pain for
> > you -- sorry about that.
>
> No problem. I rebased the remaining ones.

Thanks!

After some back-and-forth between Emre and me, here's an updated patch.
My changes are cosmetic; for a detailed rundown, see
https://github.com/alvherre/postgres/commits/brin-inclusion

Note that datatype point was removed: it turns out that unless we get
box_contain_pt changed to use FPlt() et al, indexes created with this
opclass would be corrupt. And we cannot simply change box_contain_pt,
because that would break existing GiST and SP-GiST indexes that use it
today and pg_upgrade to 9.5! So that needs to be considered separately.
Also, removing point support means remove the CAST support procedure,
because there is no use for it in the supported types. Also, patch 05
in the previous submissions goes away completely because there's no need
for those (box,point) operators anymore.

There's nothing Earth-shattering here that hasn't been seen in previous
submissions by Emre.

One item of note is that this patch is blindly removing the assert-only
blocks as previously discussed, without any replacement. Need to think
more on how to put something back ...

Attachment Content-Type Size
brin-inclusion-v11.patch text/x-diff 56.5 KB