Fix for pg_upgrade and invalid indexes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Fix for pg_upgrade and invalid indexes
Date: 2013-03-29 20:57:06
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 05:27:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Should I just patch pg_upgrade to remove the "indisvalid", skip
> > "indisvalid" indexes, and backpatch it? Users should be using the
> > version of pg_upgrade to match new pg_dump. Is there any case where
> > they don't match? Do I still need to check for "indisready"?
>
> Yeah, if you can just ignore !indisvalid indexes that should work fine.
> I see no need to look at indisready if you're doing that.

Attached is a patch that implements the suggested pg_upgrade changes of
not copying invalid indexes now that pg_dump doesn't dump them. This
should be backpatched back to 8.4 to match pg_dump. It might require
release note updates; not sure. Previously pg_upgrade threw an error
if invalid indexes exist, but only since February, when we released the
pg_upgrade fix to do this. You can see the majority of this patch is
removing that check.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade.diff text/x-diff 4.8 KB