Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum not prioritising for-wraparound tables
Date: 2013-01-30 13:58:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-01-30 05:39:29 -0800, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> >> Yep.  First, you're confusing vacuum_freeze_table_age  and
> >> vacuum_freeze_min_age.
> >
> > Don't think I did. I was talking about vacuum_freeze_table_age
> > because that influences the amount of full-table scans
>
> Not any more than vacuum_freeze_min_age does.

Well, vacuum_freeze_min_age is 50m while vacuum_freeze_table_age is
150m.

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM
>
> | a whole table sweep is forced if the table hasn't been fully
> | scanned for vacuum_freeze_table_age minus vacuum_freeze_min_age
> | transactions.
>
> So reducing vacuum_freeze_min_age not only helps minimize the
> writes that are needed when autovacuum needs to scan the entire
> heap, but also decreases the frequency of those full-table scans.

But it increases the amount of pages that are written out multiple times
because they contain tuples of different ages, in contrast to increasing
vacuum_freeze_table_age which doesn't have that problem. In combination
with full_page_writes that makes a noticeable different in total write
volume.

Greetings,

Andres Freund