Re: COPY FREEZE has no warning

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY FREEZE has no warning
Date: 2013-01-25 15:30:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 02:48:37AM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2013-01-23 14:02:46 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > As a reminder, COPY FREEZE still does not issue any warning/notice if
> > > the freezing does not happen:
> >
> > FWIW, and I won't annoy anyone further after this email, now that its
> > deterministic, I still think that this should be an ERROR not a WARNING.
>
> As the FREEZE is just an optimization, I thought NOTICE, vs WARNING or
> ERROR was fine. If others want this changed, please reply.

tbh, I tend to agree w/ Andres on this one. COPY FREEZE means "do
this", not "if you can get away with it, then do it". That said, I can
really see a use-case for both which would imply that we'd have a way to
specify, ala DROP TABLE and IF EXISTS. Not sure exactly what that'd
look like though and having one or the other is better than nothing
(presuming everyone is fine with the visibility impacts of this, which I
still contend will cause our users to give us grief over in the
future..).

Thanks,

Stephen