Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
Date: 2013-01-18 17:45:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Dimitri Fontaine (dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr) wrote:
> Please find attached a preliminary patch following the TEMPLATE ideas,
> and thanks in particular to Tom and Heikki for a practical design about
> how to solve that problem!

Given that it's preliminary and v0 and big and whatnot, it seems like
it should be bounced to post-9.3. Even so, I did take a look through
it, probably mostly because I'd really like to see this feature. :)

What's with removing the OBJECT_TABLESPACE case? Given that
get_object_address_tmpl() seems to mainly just fall into a couple of
case statements to split out the different options, I'm not sure that
having that function is useful, or perhaps it should be 2 distinct
functions?

ExtensionControlFile seemed like a good name, just changing that to
"ExtensionControl" doesn't seem as nice, tho that's a bit of bike
shedding, I suppose.

I'm not sure we have a 'dile system'... :)

For my 2c, I wish we could do something better than having to support
both on-disk conf files and in-database configs. Don't have any
particular solution to that tho.

Also pretty sure we only have one catalog
('get_ext_ver_list_from_catalogs')

'Template' seems like a really broad term which might end up being
associated with things beyond extensions, yet there are a number of
places where you just use 'TEMPLATE', eg, ACL_KIND_TEMPLATE. Seems like
it might become an issue later.

Just a side-note, there's also some whitespace issues.

Also, no pg_dump/restore support..? Seems like that'd be useful..

That's just a real quick run-through with my notes. If this patch is
really gonna go into 9.3, I'll try to take a deeper look.

Thanks,

Stephen