Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>,PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump --pretty-print-views
Date: 2013-01-10 14:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* David Fetter (david(at)fetter(dot)org) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 01:23:10PM +0100, Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> > Any feedback is welcome.
>
> Why not make this the new default?  That way, new users will have the
> benefit, and people with tools or processes that depend on the old
> behavior can still have it.

I tend to agree with this, I've never really liked having the view def
all on one massive line.

Well, I'll caveat that with this- being able to grep -C2 and pull the
views and the view definitions has been nice on occation, but you can
pull independent objects out with pg_restore from a -Fc dump and, in
general, I think the advantage of having the view definition look
reasonable in the dump is more than being able to do tricks on views
(but not tables, etc anyway..) with grep.

	Thanks,

		Stephen