Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Date: 2013-01-03 13:17:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* Hannu Krosing (hannu(at)krosing(dot)net) wrote:
> Can't we actually fix these to preserve file creation date like tar
> does and still keep
> unix file semantics ?

I'm not sure that I really see the advantage to trying to use the
filesystem to keep this information for us..?

> So it is as about agreeing on what we actually want this "create time"
> mean opening a can of worms as tom predicted ?

I agree that we need to hash out what, exactly, the values mean, but I
don't think that's a terribly difficult thing to do.

> For example, how would this work in replication context ?

If it's stored in the database catalogs, this is clear- it's replicated
just like the catalog, and then you don't have to worry about trying to
ensure that the file creation timestamp in the filesystem is right...

	Thanks,

		Stephen