Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog
Date: 2012-04-26 17:05:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 06:59:18PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 18:56, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> >> So?  The committer is very often not the author, so I'm not seeing that
> >> this helps much.  Not to mention that the commit message is almost never
> >> directly usable as release note text, anyway.

> >> I'm unpersuaded here, too, not least because I have never heard this
> >> "oldest first" policy before, and it's certainly never been followed
> >> in any set of release notes I wrote.
> >
> > Frankly, I think we should just let Bruce do what he wants, as long as
> > he doesn't break the tool for anybody else.  It's not like the 20
> > lines of code are costing us anything.
>
> +1 on the principle.

I agree adding rarely-used options to a tool doesn't make sense, but the
question is what percentage of the git_changelog userbase am I? Also,
do we want to have me use a private tool to make release notes, that
will make it harder for someone else to do it in the future?

> I haven't looked at the actual code to see if it's broken or not, but
> assuming it's not....

I wrote it. ;-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com