Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request to add options to tools/git_changelog
Date: 2012-04-26 16:44:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 01:26:16AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> I don't understand the point of that.
>
> > The release notes have the author at the end of the text.
>
> So? The committer is very often not the author, so I'm not seeing that
> this helps much. Not to mention that the commit message is almost never
> directly usable as release note text, anyway.

> >> This also seems rather useless in comparison to how much it complicates
> >> the code. We don't sort release note entries by commit date, so what's
> >> it matter?
>
> > It is very hard to read the commit messages newest-first because they
> > are often cummulative, and the order of items of equal weight is
> > oldest-first in the release notes.
>
> I'm unpersuaded here, too, not least because I have never heard this
> "oldest first" policy before, and it's certainly never been followed
> in any set of release notes I wrote.

So you totally skipped over the concept that reading incremental patches
is creation order is helpful.

OK, obviously having options that actually help me write the release
notes is not a priority for anyone else. I will continue to maintain my
own version of the script, to keep the community script clean (and not
useful for me). I just backpatched the changes since 9.1 and they
applied cleanly to my version.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com