Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade --logfile option documentation
Date: 2012-02-29 02:45:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 02:15:30PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 01:24:45PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > > Running this script will delete the old cluster's data files:
> > >    /usr/local/pgdev/pg_upgrade/delete_old_cluster.sh
> >
> > I think you should rename the old control file just before the step
> > that says "linking user relation files". That's the point after which
> > it becomes unsafe to start the old cluster, right?
>
> Yes, it is true that that is the danger point, and also it is much less
> likely to fail at that point --- it usually happens during the schema
> creation. I would have to add some more conditional wording without
> clearly stating if the old suffix is present.

OK, I have implemented both Roberts and Àlvaro's ideas in my patch.
I only add the .old suffix to pg_controldata when link mode is used, and
I now do it after the schema has been created (the most common failure
case for pg_upgrade), and just before we actually link files --- both
very good ideas.

Patch attached; new pg_upgrade output with link mode below.

Performing Consistency Checks
-----------------------------
Checking current, bin, and data directories ok
Checking cluster versions ok
Checking database user is a superuser ok
Checking for prepared transactions ok
Checking for reg* system OID user data types ok
Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch ok
Creating catalog dump ok
Checking for prepared transactions ok
Checking for presence of required libraries ok

If pg_upgrade fails after this point, you must re-initdb the
new cluster before continuing.

Performing Upgrade
------------------
Analyzing all rows in the new cluster ok
Freezing all rows on the new cluster ok
Deleting new commit clogs ok
Copying old commit clogs to new server ok
Setting next transaction ID for new cluster ok
Resetting WAL archives ok
Setting frozenxid counters in new cluster ok
Creating databases in the new cluster ok
Adding support functions to new cluster ok
Restoring database schema to new cluster ok
Removing support functions from new cluster ok
Adding ".old" suffix to old global/pg_control ok

If you want to start the old cluster, you will need to remove
the ".old" suffix from /u/pgsql.old/data/global/pg_control.old.
Because "link" mode was used, the old cluster cannot be safely
started once the new cluster has been started.

Linking user relation files
ok
Setting next OID for new cluster ok
Creating script to delete old cluster ok

Upgrade complete
Optimizer statistics are not transferred by pg_upgrade so
consider running:
vacuumdb --all --analyze-only
on the newly-upgraded cluster.

Running this script will delete the old cluster's data files:
/usr/local/pgdev/pg_upgrade/delete_old_cluster.sh

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade.diff text/x-diff 9.4 KB