Re: SSI rw-conflicts and 2PC

From: Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSI rw-conflicts and 2PC
Date: 2012-02-15 00:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:04:15AM +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Perhaps it would be simpler to add the extra information to the commit
> records of the transactions that commit after the first transaction is
> prepared. In the commit record, you would include a list of prepared
> transactions that this transaction conflicted with. During recovery, you
> would collect those lists in memory, and use them at the end of recovery
> to flag the conflicts in prepared transactions that are still in
> prepared state.

Yeah, doing it that way might be a better strategy if we wanted to go
that route. I hadn't really considered it because I'm not that familiar
with the xlog code (plus, the commit record already contains a variable
length field, making it that much more difficult to add another).

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports MIT CSAIL http://drkp.net/