Re: date range to set of dates expansion

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gary Stainburn <gary(dot)stainburn(at)ringways(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: date range to set of dates expansion
Date: 2012-01-19 16:20:06
Lists: pgsql-sql
On Thursday, January 19, 2012 7:59:27 am Gary Stainburn wrote:
> The following code works in 8.4 but not 8.3.
> Anyone know why, or what I need to do to change it?
>
> SELECT aid, asid,
>        date_range (asdate, afdate)::date AS asdate,
>        acomments
> FROM availability
>
> In 8.4 it returns the expanded dataset as required. In 8.3 I get:
>
> ERROR:  set-valued function called in context that cannot accept a set
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "date_range" line 4 at RETURN NEXT

As to why it works in 8.4 vs 8.3

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/release-8-4.html

"Support set-returning functions in SELECT result lists even for functions that
return their result via a tuplestore (Tom)

In particular, this means that functions written in PL/pgSQL and other PL
languages can now be called this way.'

In 8.3- I believe you could only call it as

SELECT * from date_range (asdate, afdate)::date AS asdate;

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com