archive_command vs. cp -i

From: "Martin Münstermann" <mmuenst(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: archive_command vs. cp -i
Date: 2011-06-17 08:40:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

while setting up a new linux postgresql server, I checked my archive_command.
I noticed that the usual "cp -i f1 f2 < /dev/null" did NOT as expected:
It did not overwrite the file (PASS), but it returned zero (FAIL, should return error).

This could be reproduced on CentOS 5.6, RHEL4, and Ubuntu 10.04.

This is my test:
echo huhu > file1
echo hello > file2
/bin/cp -i file2 file1 < /dev/null
echo $? # should return != 0
diff -s file1 file2

Am I missing something here?
Should the BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL doc be changed?

Regards,
Martin