Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2011-06-14 21:44:37
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 08:59:41AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > >
> > > Or at least, somebody passes it through the "proper editor" before
> > > committing. ?As long as said editor can read SVG output from a
> > > reasonable range of other tools, this doesn't seem that onerous.

This scenario depends on the idea that the tool in question will serve
as an SVG normalizer. From what I can gather, none of the tools seem to
manage to do that. Or at least, do it in such a way as not to make
hamburger of the output SVG.

> > Bad news, Bruce: you're going to have to learn a new tool. :-)
>
> Yes, I am sensing that. ;-)
>
> Do we have any agreement on which tool will be the definitive one?

For my money, Inkscape seems to be the leader in this space (open source
generic SVG editor), and is portable across all three major platforms:
Unixes, Windows, and MacOS. I think it's even in the BSD ports collections,
Bruce. :-)

I would dearly love to have an SVG normalizer, but it seems no one has
done the deed.

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D. reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist phone: 713-348-6166