Re: pervasiveness of surrogate (also called synthetic) keys

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pervasiveness of surrogate (also called synthetic) keys
Date: 2011-05-03 08:12:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 10:52:23AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> ... and that's before we get into the horror of "what is someone's
> name". Which name? Which spelling? Do they even have a single canonical
> name?

- people have, at least over time, several compound names
- they have, at any one time, one active compound name
- additional spellings can be tracked as additional names
of that individual

> Is their canonical name - if any - expressable in the character
> set used by the service? Is it even covered by Unicode?!?

- I haven't seen evidence to the contrary.
- But then, I haven't had a need to store a Klingon name.
- Yes, it's been difficult to come up with something sensible
to store Spock's first name in the GNUmed database.

> Does it make
> any sense to split their name up into the traditional
> english-speaking-recent-western "family" and "given" name parts?

- any compound names I have come across work like this:

- group name
- individual name
- nicknames (pseudonyms, warrior names, actor names, ...)

The day-to-day usage of each part varies, though.

> Is there a single consistent way to do so for their name even if it does? etc.

Even in Japan, where the group is a lot more than the
individual, can you clearly split into group name and
individual name.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346